- The IP Address and Classes
- Hosts and networks
- IP addressing
- Basic IP Routing
- Classed IP Addressing and the Use of ARP
- Direct vs. Indirect Routing
- Static vs. Dynamic Routing
- WANPIPE Routing
- Advanced IP Routing
- The Netmask
- Hierarchical Sub-Allocation of Class C Addresses
- TCP/IP Setup Examples by Protocol Stack and Platform
- IPX Routing
- Appendix: Restrictions in the use of class C subnetting
This tutorial is intended to supply enough information to set up a relatively simple WAN or Internet-connected LAN using Sangoma’s Data Networking/Router Cards or other routers. Explanations of IP addresses, classes, Netmask asks, subnetting, and routing are provided, and several example networks are considered. Example address and routing configurations are provided for running Sangoma’s Router Cards under the following protocol stacks and platforms: Unix and Linux, Microsoft TCP/IP on Windows NT Workstation/Server and Windows 95, and others. A basic explanation of IPX routing is also included.
All brand names and product names are trademarks of their respective companies.
Read the page in Bulgarian here References
- T. Socolofsky, C. Kale, “A TCP/IP Tutorial”, RFC 1180, 01/15/1991.
- J. Reynolds, J.Postel, “ASSIGNED NUMBERS”, RFC 1700, 10/20/1994.
- J. Postel, “Internet Protocol”, RFC 791, 09/01/1981.
- V. Fuller, T. Li, J. Yu, K. Varadhan, “Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): an Address Assignment and Aggregation Strategy”, RFC 1519, 09/24/1993.
- E. Gerich, “Guidelines for Management of IP Address Space”, RFC 1466, 05/26/1993.
- “Novell NetWare v3.11 TCP/IP Transport Supervisor’s Guide”, Novell, Inc., 03/25/1991.
- Route(ADMN) and ifconfig(ADMN) man pages, SCO Unix SVR3.2 V4.2.
- Y. Rekhter, R. Moskowitz, D.Karrenberg, G. de Groot, “Address Allocation for Private Internets”, RFC 1597, 03/17/1994.
- “Microsoft Windows NT Server TCP/IP“, TCPIP.HLP, Microsoft Corporation, 09/04/1994. Available on distribution CD in supportbooks, or in the Windows NT system32 directory.
- “Microsoft Windows 95 Resource Kit”, WIN95RK.HLP, Microsoft Corporation, 06/11/1995. Available in the windows help directory.
- P. Almquist, F. Kastenholz, “Towards Requirements for IP Routers”, RFC 1716, 11/04/1994.
- T. Bradley, C. Brown, A. Malis, “Multiprotocol Interconnect over frame Relay“, RFC 1490, 07/26/1993.